McCain Staffer Loses Saving Roll, Fumbles Attack

Sorry, I’ve been travelling and trying to puppy-train our second dog as well. I’ll slowly work back up to regular posting this week.

Via BoingBoing, I did notice this rather odd entry at the McCain campaign blog which takes a hard shot at the all-important tabletop gamer voting demographic: “It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman’s memory of war from the comfort of mom’s basement”.

There’s going off message and then there’s going off message. What’s next, a tough-minded condemnation of pro-Obama cosplayers? Uncompromising attacks on pro-Obama fanfic writers?

This entry was posted in Politics, Popular Culture. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to McCain Staffer Loses Saving Roll, Fumbles Attack

What, him or me? I hope you’re not saying I’ve got to write a numbingly serious multi-paragraph treatise every time I sally forth here.

2. withywindle says:

Yeah, that didn’t thrill me either. But it allows the reference to the following immortal news story: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38664

3. back40 says:

You aren’t weak, and neither is McCain. It is the post that is weak. You’re allowed.

4. mrtetley says:

sounds like someone at the campaign rolled three ones for intelligence

5. I suppose, if I had to guess, I’d probably tag most admitted D&D types as Democrats, but that may just be projection from my family. Seems to me that the interspecies diversity of the games is excellent training for multiculturalism, etc…..

6. Doug says:

Surely this is the most prescient Onion piece ever.

7. DougLathrop says:

When I heard about this, it immediately reminded me of Bob Dole’s bizarre 1996 grumblings about people who stay up until 6:00 a.m. Both campaigns have a similar “Durned smoochers get off my property!” flavor to them.

As for the politics of D&D players: My recollection is that they were fairly evenly split between the crunchy-granola neopagan liberals and the anarcho-capitalistic Libertarians (similar to the split I’ve encountered within sf fandom). But then I haven’t played D&D since college so maybe the political spectrum has shifted.