On the Road

I’ll be in Washington DC tomorrow for a talk to alumni on virtual worlds. See you there, Swatties.

This entry was posted in Games and Gaming, Swarthmore. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to On the Road

1. nord says:

Vi sitter här i venten och spelar DotA … good music to work to late at night …

Have fun!

2. Chris Segal says:

Thanks for coming down, Tim. It was a great evening!

3. Would love to hear more about your thoughts on Second Life. I’m not finding the college/university folks there that I had hoped to but am probably just not looking in the right places. I was teaching class yesterday when a nearby junior college held a tour for our state tech group of their site (Johnson County Community College) and a Harlem Renaissance site – the concept of which seems quite intriguing for someone who teaches 20th century US.

Any chance you can share your talk here?

It’s a series of PowerPoint visuals along with an outline–I’m not sure how much sense it would make just by itself. But maybe I should do a post here just on the pedagogical uses of virtual worlds, given that at Terra Nova, I have colleagues for whom that is their central interest. Compactly put, I think Second Life is a fantastic way to demonstrate what virtual world pedagogy might look like, and it has some tools that would give students and faculty a sense of what might be possible, but I also think it’s a platform with some severe limitations once you want to go beyond just demonstrating or suggesting the possibilities.

5. Chris Segal says:

I took down about 1200 words of notes that I could e-mail, although they’re extraordinarily general and geared towards an MMO-savvy audience.

6. Please do post more of your thoughts about Second Life in detail. I know of lectures and PowerPoints being utilized in SL but would be interested in hearing more about how you know colleagues are using it as a teaching medium.

Chris – your notes would also be helpful – either posted here or as a comment at http://teachinghistory.typepad.com/technology

In either case – thanks!