As I write this, Visiting Lang Professor, George Lakey has begun a week-long fast (with only water) from April 7-13 for the people of Appalachia, with a concern for PNC Bank’s funding of mountaintop removal coal mining. This is part of a 40-day fast conducted by Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT), leading up to the annual shareholders meeting in Pittsburgh.
The students of Peace Studies and Action (PEAC 077) will hold class on Tuesday at 2:45 with Professor Lakey
A Fast for the People of Appalachia,
with a concern for PNC Bank’s funding of mountaintop removal coal mining
Week-long fast with only water, April 7-13
A Message from Professor Lakey:
On April 7 I expect to start a week-long fast on behalf of the people of Appalachia who continue to suffer from the relentless actions that destroy their mountains, livelihoods, health, and culture. The mining also contributes to climate change, which hurts us all.
The fast will largely be conducted at my workplace, Swarthmore College, with public opportunities to engage with students, faculty, and staff
- The first public event will be Monday at the Quaker Meetinghouse, 11.30-1pm.
- The last event will be at the Swarthmore PNC Bank branch on Saturday, 10.45-12.
- In between I will be on the first floor of Parrish each day for some period of time. Classes of students will visit me during that time as well as the
- Swarthmore Gospel Choir singing at 8pm Thursday.
For the latest schedule email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is part of a 40-day fast conducted by Earth Quaker Action Team (EQAT), leading up to the annual shareholders meeting in Pittsburgh. The fast is a tool for spiritual preparation and outreach. EQAT has for three years been in dialogue with PNC Bank as well as nonviolent action which shines the light on the bank’s role as a leading funder for blowing up mountains. EQAT plus allies will take action at the shareholders meeting.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Green your money: if you bank at PNC, move it to a community bank or credit union and tell EQAT.org. Over $3 million has already been moved.
- Join the fast by skipping one meal or many, and tell EQAT.org.
- Come to Pittsburgh to shine the light on PNC’s board of directors.
- Join EQAT’s project of shadowing PNC board members when they make public appearances.
- Research on PNC and the health effects of mountaintop removal available at EQAT.org.