CALL FOR WRITERS
thINKingDANCE is a online journal that seeks to catalyze conversation about dance and develop the skills of dance writers in the Philadelphia area. It presents reviews, features, interviews, and ‘think pieces,’ and embraces new modes of thINKing about dance (http://thinkingdance.net/)
We are looking for NEW WRITERS and encourage the following people to consider joining us:
- those who want to develop their writing skill and are interested in the practice of constructive critique
- individuals new to writing who connect strongly to dance (artists, audience members, presenters)
- people new to dance who connect strongly to writing (poets, journalists, scholars, students)
- anyone interested in experimenting with new journalistic forms
- advocates committed to covering diverse styles and genres of dance
What do we expect of thINKingDANCE WRITERS?
- writers will attend a meeting on the first Tuesday (7-9pm) of each month
- writers are invited to about four workshops/retreats per year (typically on a weekend day)
- writers are expected to contribute 6-10 articles per year
How do thINKingDANCE WRITERS benefit from being involved?
- access to free workshops by leading dance writers and scholars
- mentorship by experienced dance writers, with two rounds of editing on each article then published on the website (which is read internationally)
- stimulating networking opportunities with the other TD writers
- a small honorarium for participation
- a wonderful outlet for creative thINKing
- privileged access to a diversity of performances in Philadelphia
How to apply?
Please send by email:
- a Letter of Interest indicating any relevant experience and motivation for participating (1page maximum)
- a short writing sample—it need not be dance-related (1200 words maximum)
Send to Kirsten Kaschock (TD Editor): firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for application materials: June 1st, 2015
Criteria for Selection:
- potential for committed engagement and willingness to make full use of this professional development opportunity
- diversity that represents the broad dance constituency in Philadelphia
- a writing sample that demonstrates some of the following: creative expression, English language fluency, curiosity, a distinctive voice, and provocative ideas
thINKingDANCE is a consortium of dance artists and writers who work together to comment widely on the myriad forms dance can take. Based in Philadelphia, thINKingDANCE works to increase visibility for local dance, encourage new forms of dance writing, broaden the scope of our coverage, and increase audience receptivity to dance. We do this through live events as well as on-line at www.thinkingdance.net. Our director and editor-in-chief were founding members, and our other positions (in communications, editorial, and education) are culled from within. All members are encouraged to participate in the areas of our organization where they have interest and expertise.
thINKingDANCE has been supported by The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, Philadelphia Cultural Fund and Pennsylvania Council of the Arts. Partners include the LAB (Live Arts Brewery), DanceUP, and Philadelphia Dance Projects.