Grackle is an awesome plugin which works in conjunction with the Google suite of documents: Docs, Sheets and Slides.
There are several obstacles to document accessibility. There are two really big ones:
- Lack of structure
- Lack of image descriptions
Grackle checks this and more in a very friendly useable way.
Sharing documents with students, classmates and colleagues? Use Grackle to make sure there aren’t any barriers in the document
Need to create an accessible PDF from a Google document? Grackle can do that too.
My focus today is primarily with Google Docs but the process is pretty much the same for all document types
If you don’t already have it, install it:
- Login to your Google account
- Go to Add-ons (located in the top menu) > Get Add-ons
- Search for Grackle
- If you are in docs, choose “Grackle Docs
- If you are in slides, choose “Grackle Slides
- If you are in sheets, choose “Grackle Sheets”
- Agree to the scary stuff – ITS has verified that it is safe to agree to the permissions Grackle is asking for.
- Once it is installed in one, its installed in all
Making it work
- Open a doc, slide or presentation
- Go to Add-ons.
- Launch Grackle and make the fixes
- Boom! Accessibility is in place