People’s Demands for Climate Justice

Image-1

Today was another great day and filled with lots of different experiences, including an interesting session related to climate finance that the South African delegate tried to blow-up and an informational meeting on the content of the recent IPCC report. Regarding the report, I found it very positive that a lot of delegates were affirming their commitments to meeting a new, 1.5 C target and that the take away wasn’t doom and gloom, but a reorientation of the challenge. I thought it was a very positive meeting.

The thing that was most exciting for me today is that I took place in my first protest! Ben Goloff ’15 help organize an action with the People’s Demands for Climate Justice and I went to support him. I ended up holding a sign and chanting. The Polish government is pretty strict about demonstrations, so this was inside the conference site and not out on the streets. But it still drew a crowd. I think the message of the cause is pretty important as well, so I was happy to take part. You can learn more about the movement here: https://www.peoplesdemands.org/ but the six demands are:

• Keep fossil fuels in the ground.
  • Reject false solutions that are displacing real, people-first solutions to the climate crisis.
  • Advance real solutions that are just, feasible, and essential.
  • Honor climate finance obligations to developing countries.
  • End corporate interference in and capture of the climate talks.
  • Ensure developed countries honor their “Fair Shares” for largely fueling this crisis.

One thought on “People’s Demands for Climate Justice”

1. Go, Chris! (And Ben!) I was about to say “Way to be radicalized!”–except that the radicals in this case are those who think we can burn through the future. I’m so glad you were there supporting Ben!