About this Blog

This is the course blog for Fan Culture (FMST 85) at Swarthmore College, a space to raise questions, continue conversations, and share resources. Use the page tabs above to navigate to the syllabus and readings, or the Login / Site Admin link (under the Meta menu, below) to create a new post.

Calendar

April 2008
M T W T F S S
« Mar   May »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  

Announcements

The Film and Media Studies Spring Screening will take place Thursday, May 8, at 7:30 in the LPAC Cinema. All are invited to come watch the Video Production Lab and senior film projects!

Fantasy Film

April 11th, 2008 by Greg

In my pre-sleep browsing, I ran across this interesting link: http://www.fantasymoguls.com/

Below is a description from IMDB (on whose home page I found the link):

“Think you can do a better job of picking hit movies than the studios? Then prove it at Fantasy Moguls.com, the fantasy game for Hollywood movies, now with a new look and easy new gameplay for all seasons. Create your own studio with a budget of $100, which you’ll use to select up to eight movies to fill out your studio slate. You’ll rack up points for your studio based on things like box office, review score, “legs” (the term for longevity in the theaters after the initial release) and per-theater average. You can play in a league with your friends or join a public league and make new ones. Perhaps best of all, it’s 100% FREE to play. The ultra-competitive summer season is now underway, so sign up and join Fantasy Moguls, sponsored by the 2008 Honda CR-V.”

While there are obviously many levels to unpack here (commodification of the process of commodification, for instance, or the “revelation” of “insider” knowledge via the industry term “legs”), I am hitting the sack, and just wanted to get this up here before I forgot about it.

Other possible discussion points include this in-depth strategy article that, at first glance, I took for a film review, or Honda’s large advertising presence in this venture.

Perhaps I will edit this to include a more thorough reading tomorrow, but please don’t let that stop you from commenting.

Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments »