News from Andrew Herrmann ’08

Dear Classics people,

we love to hear from you! Here is what Andrew Hermann recently wrote us:

I am currently working in NY at Oxford University Press as an editorial assistant in the reference department (I can totally hook you up with dictionaries). Oddly enough, it is in the same building as the CUNY Graduate Center where I learned Greek last summer. Oxford is a great place to work and evidently I am sitting at the desk of a former employee who has just started to pursue graduate work in classics, making me the fresh new classicist of the group. You will be thrilled to know that I am currently working on an online bibliography for classics (kind of like a wikipedia with guidance and annotation of sources) which means l’annee will no longer have to be the only online resource! Rejoice! Coincidentally, I think mentioning the fact that I know how to navigate l’annee was one of my biggest selling points for this position.

I also wanted to thank you again for funding my course at Columbia. I completed it a few weeks ago and am now intimately acquainted with Plato’s Symposium. It was a fun class and a nice transition from academia to the work place (however I am glad I no longer have to be the guy reading Greek on the Long Island Rail Road, I cannot possibly handle receiving the comment “It’s all Greek to me!” ever again). The class of course was nowhere near Swarthmore depth and quality, but that is of course to be expected.

1 thought on “News from Andrew Herrmann ’08

1. Kyle Khellaf

That’s wonderful, Andrew. Perhaps you could answer a nagging question of mine. I have always wondered why the A.J. Woodman book, Tacitus Reviewed, costs nearly $200 for such a small item. Let me know if get the chance to figure out why.

All the best,

Kyle