Weekend Photos

Messing around with different cameras: one a stereo microscope camera, the other a digital camera with some manual settings.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Miscellany. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Weekend Photos

1. Becket says:

Beautiful pics. My reactions, from top to bottom:

Great composition. The “implied space” on the left side of the frame, the empty wall, invites one to sit down, if for no other reason than to correct the balance. I kind of which there were 1) better resolution and 2) less exposure time — the bright light gives it a nice soft touch, but blurs detail out of the blanket. Hey, to each their own, but the textbook answer would be less exposure time.

Eeeew! (cool)

Nice colors. A little Georgia O’Keefe (not that there’s anything wrong with that . . . )

Yeah, I think you’re right on exposure time. Goofing around with that, I don’t normally do manual work.

I love the color on the Japanese beetle’s carapace. Was the best “head shot” I got of any bug under the stereomicroscope. The bad thing is that they really hate the heat of the lights so most of them thrash and I feel bad and let them go.

I’m really pleased with the flower photo–I’m going to experiment with that some more, microscopic studies of light and color. It’s two petals from sunflowers in my yard plus some weed whose identity is not known to me.

3. Chris Clarke says:

What kind of stereomicroscope are you using, Timothy? I’ve had one on my shopping list for the last few years.

I got a digital stereomicroscope from Edwards Scientific about a year ago. I wouldn’t recommend Edwards just based on my own experience: they were a real hassle to deal with in several respects, and the stereomicroscope comes with software from a Chinese company that can be very fluky and difficult to use.

Ah, wait, that’s Edmunds, not Edwards.